Buckeye (now the tug barge Olive L. Moore/Lewis J. Kuber)

buckeye220831-338
The Buckeye was built for Bethlehem Steel Company as the Sparrows Point in 1952. During her 1979/80 winter lay-up at Fraser Shipyards in Superior, she was converted to a self-unloader and bow thrusters were added. With the beginning of the thousand footer era, Bethlehem Steel found the Burns Harbor and the Stewart J. Cort to be less expensive to carry their iron ore pellets so in July, 1990, the Sparrows Point was sold to the Oglebay Norton Company and her name was changed to Buckeye. [In 2005, Oglebay Norton Company sold the Buckeye to K & K Warehousing, where she was converted to a barge. The tug Olive L. Moore towed her to Erie where she was joined to the former Buckeye, now called the Lewis J. Kuber.]
*submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for publication on 11-02-2004