William A. Irvin was built in 1937, is 610 feet long and flies a U.S. flag
|The William A. Irvin went into long-term layup in 1978, and later, became a museum ship on display near the DECC in Duluth, Minnesota.
Click here for other pages featuring the William A. Irvin
|The S.S. William A. Irvin was launched in November 21, 1937. She hauled bulk materials from Lake Superior to US Steel’s mills in Gary, Conneaut and Lorain. She went into extended layup in 1978 until she was rescued, 8 years later, to become a major tourist attraction in Duluth, operated by the DECC (Duluth Entertainment Convention Center. (Picture above taken September, 2003 during a tour of the boat. Below, taken same day)|
|Picture below taken November, 2001|