Lee A. Tregurtha

Lee A. Tregurtha was built in 1942, is 826 feet long and flies a U.S. flag

Previous names:
Samoset: 1942-1942
USS Chiwawa (see picture just below): 1942-1946
Chiwawa: 1946-1961
Walter A. Sterling: 1961-1985
William Clay Ford (2): 1985-1989
Lee A. Tregurtha: 1989-

Click here for other pages featuring the Lee A. Tregurtha

The Lee A Tregurtha has been outfitted with freshwater, closed-loop exhaust gas scrubbers. More specifically, DuPont Marine Scrubbers from BELCO. The scrubbers work to effectively strip the majority of sulfur and particulate matter from the ship’s stack emissions, reducing the environmental impact of the ship.

Listen to her whistle on April 4, 2012
USS Chiwawa at the Norfolk Navy Yard January 31, 1943 – from the BoatNerd.com collection
The Lee A. Tregurtha has a long past with many names. Built in 1942 as an ocean tanker and used in the Atlantic to refuel allied boats in the Second World War, she was awarded two battle stars for service in the war and was decommissioned in 1946. Her battle ribbons are displayed on the boat, on the side of the pilot house (at right). (more information below)
2017
Above, arriving Duluth on January 16, 2017 for winter layup
2016
Above, after discharging limestone at the Grayont Superior lime plant and loading iron ore pellets at the CN dock, the Lee A. Tregurtha departed on September 1, 2016
2015
In 1961, the Lee A. Tregurtha was rebuilt, lengthened by 228 feet, converted into a bulk freighter on the Great Lakes and renamed the Walter A. Sterling. In 1976 she was lengthened again by 96 feet at the Fraser Shipyards in Superior. Two years later a 250-foot self-unloading boom was added on her deck.
In 1985 she was renamed the William Clay Ford (2), and in 1989 she received her present name after the wife of Paul R. Tregurtha, currently Vice Chairman of the Board of Interlake Steamship Company, the ship’s owner. She made 18 trips to Duluth during the 2012-13 season.
Above and below, July 1, 2015, she arrived Duluth to load iron ore pellets at the CN dock.
2014
Above, Holly caught the Lee A. Tregurtha departing Duluth on September 18, 2014  after loading iron ore pellets at the CN dock in West Duluth.
2013
Above, she was here in April, 2013 to discharge coal at the Hallett Dock before going next door to the CN dock to load iron ore pellets. Below, she departed Duluth on August 11, 2013
2012
Above and below, she arrives Duluth in April, 2012 to load iron ore pellets at the CN dock in West Duluth.
2011
Above, she got waved into the Duluth harbor on June 21, 2011 to load iron ore pellets at the CN. The two below taken when she was here on December 26, 2011 to load iron ore pellets.
2009
Above, she spent the 2008-09 winter layup at Fraser Shipyard, here sitting behind her sister Kaye E. Barker. Below, she was back in port on April 27, 2009 to load coal at Midwest Energy.
2008
Picture above taken January 11, 2008, below taken a month later on February 22, 2008, at Fraser Shipyard during winter layup, 2007-08.
Picture below taken Sunday, March 23, 2008 when she left layup on her first trip of the new season.
Above, on Tuesday, April 22, 2008, when she was here to load coal; below on July 23, 2008 as she departed after loading iron ore pellets at the CN.
Below, arriving September 27, 2008 to load iron ore pellets at the CN
2007
Departing Duluth on January 5, 2007
2005
Picture above taken Saturday, March 26, 2005. She was the first boat to come to Duluth from the other side of the Soo Locks. She went to the DMIR Dock to load iron ore pellets. I went over to check out the first arrival; and had a nice talk with Captain James Nuzzo. He was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. and began his sailing career with the U.S. Coast Guard. From 1968 to 1972 he served at the Toledo small boat station, onboard the Coast Guard Cutter Mesquite and at the Rescue Center in Cleveland. That’s him walking down the deck of the Tregurtha during my visit.
He sailed with Ford Motor Company’s fleet from 1976 to 1989 and sailed for Interlake since then. He was permanent master of the Lee A. since 1992. He is now retired from the big boat, but he races sailboats on the Great Lakes. He restored a classic wood Chriscraft runabout.
He brought his boat here many times, along with his extremely loud, two tone whistle that he thought was original equipment from 1942 when the boat was built. It is so loud he never uses it between 10 pm and 7 am. The whistle has since been replaced.
Below, she was back at the same dock  on April 11, 2005.
2002
She arrived Duluth on September 7, 2002
2001
Picture above and below taken July 3, 2001 while she was discharging limestone. Below that, she departs Duluth after finishing her limestone discharge.
2000
Picture above as she arrived on July 4, 2000
1997
Above, in the Duluth harbor in June, 1997; below arriving July, 1997