Maritime Trader was built in 1967, is 607 feet long and flies the Canadian flag
The N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. fleet of Thunder Bay launched the Mantadoc in 1967. She was named after the Province of Manitoba (“Manta”) which is the provincial location of Paterson’s corporate head office in Winnipeg. In keeping with Paterson’s fleet suffix policy of ending most of their vessel names with “doc” meaning “Dominion of Canada”. N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. was a major grain elevator operator in Canada with many of its operations in Manitoba. Its Marine Division has been in service since 1915 when its first small vessel, the D.R. Van Allen, built in 1874, was purchased.
In March 21, 2002, N.M. Paterson & Sons closed its maritime division and sold its last 3 vessels to Canada Steamship Lines. The Mantadoc became the Teakglen, the Paterson became the Pineglen and the Cartierdoc became the Cedarglen.
The Teakglen loaded her last cargo for Canadian Steamship in 2002 in Quebec City. She took that cargo of wheat to Goderich, a port on the eastern shore of Lake Huron, where she remained for rest of the 2002 season. That fall, CSL chartered her to Goderich Elevators. They used her to store grain, often the last stop for a Great Lakes boat before getting cut up for parts or scrapped. She joined the Willowglen that had been there (in long-term layup) since 1992. Goderich Elevators purchased the Teakglen and in late 2004, put both the Teakglen and Willowglen up for sale.
In 2005, Voyageur Maritime Trading in Ridgeville, Ontario purchased the Teakglen and took her to Thunder Bay for her 5-year survey and a new paint job, a very bright blue. She was rechristened the Maritime Trader and departed Thunder Bay on her maiden voyage on October 2, 2005 for Sorel, Quebec with wheat, canola seed, and flax seed. She continues to carry grain but has at times also loaded iron ore pellets, coke and raw sugar. Click here for other pages featuring the Maritime Trader.