Largest port (by tonnage) on the Great Lakes!

20110512_2650
There is a reason why I am so tired at the end of the day. I have to keep getting up from my chair to take pictures of all the ship traffic. There was quite a parade this morning. Above, the Algowood was on her way out with a load of iron ore pellets and passed the CSL Tadoussac coming in to replace her at the CN Dock in West Duluth.
20110512_2660
A couple minutes later, the James R. Barker was departing with a load of coal from Midwest Energy Resources in Superior. She was taking that to Taconite Harbor and passed the Victoriaborg coming in to load bentonite at the Hallett Dock in Duluth. As the Victoriaborg made her turn to the St. Louis River, she passed the Canadian Enterprise, loading fuel at the Murphy Fuel Dock before taking a load of salt to the Hallett 8 Dock in Superior. After that, she will go to the BNSF dock in Superior to load taconite pellets and maybe then, I can get some rest.
20110512_2665

Comments

1. Miss visiting Duluth! Only live 3 hours away and have a cabin about an hour and a half north of Duluth. Will be visiting in a couple weeks again! Been soooo long! Wasn’t there since August!

2. Jamie D. says:

The one reason I wouldn’t take your job, Ken, is that I’m already studying to become a doctor so it would have been a waste of 6 years to take your job, but I’d keep an eye out for my mom. She loves Duluth as much as I do and she and my dad are pro photographers so you’d have competition.

Jamie,
    LP Minnesota

3. Paul Badovinac says:

Thanks Jill
    Was just curious as she was really active last year.

Texas

4. Jill from Alabama says:

Hey there, Paul!

The Buffalo is still docked in Toledo, where she spent her lay-up. I’m ready for her to come out, too!

Jill

5. Paul Badovinac says:

I wasn’t worried as she would never move.
    Have a question for Ken, or Jill you may know.
    I haven’t seen the Buffalo (Jill’s friend as Captain) , mentioned at all this shipping season. Is she out of commission or has not started her journey’s as of yet.
    Was just wondering.

Texas

6. Paul Badovinac says:

If you can convince my wife to move from Galveston to Duluth, I will buy your company.

Texas

7. Paul Badovinac says:

Sign me up. When do I start. What a job. Lucky you.

Texas

• This is hurting my reputation. I want to sell my company, someday way in the future of course, and if people think it is easy or fun, the value will go way down. Watching all these boats is pure drudgery with pain and suffering through out. I always have a very sore right index finger; some of these modern digital camera buttons are not made like they use to be, you know, like in the old days. And the window sill is so high in my office that i actually have to stand up to take a picture of a boat going by,

and i could of course go on but i won’t

8. My son would love to have your job!

9. SCOTTtheBADGER says:

Thank you for being willing to do it. It makes my life much more enjoyable to watch the ships come and go.

10. Rita Carleski says:

I will take your job. I would love it! I will be in Duluth the end of June to take pictures of whatever boats I can watch come in or out. I am hoping for lots of boats. Maybe even Two Harbors. It is a rough life, but it needs to be done. I will think of you when I am snapping my own photos. Life is good. Life with boats is GOOD!
    Rita from Zeeland

11. wow…what a busy day! good thing it wasn’t foggy like yesterday!

12. Jill from Alabama says: