Barker starts off the new season

The James R. Barker departed Duluth on Thursday afternoon, March 17, 2011, with 58,000 tons of coal for Presque Isle, Michigan. As you can see below, she wasted no time making her right turn to Michigan. The video follows the Barker as she appeared in the harbor after going under the Blatnik Bridge and around the John G. Munson, docked at the Port Terminal on winter layup (the Barker was docked at the Midwest Energy Resources dock in Superior, where she loaded her cargo of coal). The video then shows her passing both the Roger Blough and the American Century on her way to the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge. After blowing her whistle, she moved under the bridge and out into Lake Superior. Spring has sprung! (although note the large amount of ice blown up against the shore just to the left of the North Pier Light.)
20110317_1722

Comments

1. I AM 7. I AM A HOMESCHOOLER. WE ARE STUDYING THE NORTH CENTRAL REGION. fOR MY PROJECT I CHOSE DULUTH. I LIVE NEAR LAKE ERIE IN MI. I MIGHT WORK IN SHIPPING SOME DAY. THIS WEBSITE IS THE BEST ONE!

2. I’ve never been there when a ship has taken such an immediate and severe right turn. That’s amazing!

3. Great to see the shipping season has begun (I know I’m a little behind since it was over 3 weeks ago!). I so enjoy being able to access this site and view the ships that keep drawing me back home!

4. Carol from Aitkin says:

OUTSTANDING!
    I love Duluth and the Shore. This is great to be able to watch the boats from home until I can get up again. I have stood on the pier countless times and watched the ships enter and leave. I love to stay in Canal Park.
    THANKS FOR THE VIDEO!

5. Jack Metcalf says:

Awesome Ken! Thank You!

6. Hoping for a busy season, pulling wind turbines from the port this summer! Thank you Ken, as always a great web page , with all the photos, and videos!

7. Hey Ken,
    Thanks for the fabulous video of the first ship of the season! I check the web cams often but missed the Barker. Your website is my connection to my beloved Lake Superior. Janet from St. Paul, MN.

8. I grew up on Park Point in Duluth (live in Tulsa now) I have seen many many thousands of ships depart out of the Duluth canal and have never seen a ship take such a sharp turn just outside the piers. Whats up with that? The video footage was epic!

9. Thanks for the great video, Ken. I missed it, so this is great!

10. I’ve watched this video a few of times and find new things each time that catch my eye. There are so many different views this time from different angles it is amazing!! I love the great close up as the Barker is turning to go under the bridge.
    Thanks Ken, I’m looking forward to your busy webcam this season.
    You’re the best!

11. I keep watching this video over and over! Notice the people at the great South Pier Inn who come out on their balconies to watch the action. There is even one person who doesn’t venture out in the cold, but when the Barker blows her whistle, they snatch the window curtain back out of the way so they can enjoy the view from their room. Lucky people!

Jill
    Alabama

12. Thanks Paul!

13. great video…could not have been more clear if we had been standing right there! thank you, ken!

14. Fantastic video Ken. I’ll be watching that one over and over. Shipping season has begun – YEE HAW!

15. Absolutely brilliant, Ken! Hey Brian, I’ve been sitting out on the deck catching some rays in the 82 degree sunshine down here. Buttercups are about gone, and the azaleas are getting ready to pop open! With that said, though, I wouldn’t have minded grabbing a coat and heading to the canal to watch the Barker yesterday! Ken, thank you so much for doing the video for us.

Jill
    Alabama

16. Paul from St Paul says:

Christy & Scott,
    The Presque Isle the Barker is going to is in Marquette. It’s called Presque Isle Park. There is a large coal fired power plant there.
    What I want to know is, why did the Barker make such a sharp turn to the right, or south when it cleared the Duluth pier heads? It looks like it was heading back over to the Superior Harbor entrance.
    Great video Ken!!!

17. Christy, The Barker is only going to Marquette, MI. The cargo will travel by train to Presque Isle (I think)

18. Paul BaDOVINAC says:

On Thursday at approx 4:15 I went on the website and there goes the Barker outbound. Caught it going out. AWESOME. Ken, your vacation is bout over. Thanks for all you do to keep us boatnerds happy.

Texas

19. Christy from St. Paul says:

It was sooo awesome to see the video… Can’t wait to get up to Duluth to see them in person! Have a question for you, Ken… I thought that Presque Isle, MI is over on Lake Huron, but I also read that the Soo Locks aren’t open quite yet. How is the Barker getting over there? Thanks for your answer in advance!!!

20. WooHoo! Finally.

Brian
    Minneapolis (where we’re still waitin’ for our Buttercups to bloom…)

21. So glad the ships are back. I’ve missed them!!!

22. Dick Higgs says:

Spring has sprung.
    The grass has riz.
    Where last year’s
    Reckless drivers is. Burma Shave

23. SCOTTtheBADGER says:

Let the season begin! HUZZAH!

24. Jan Hoffman says:

Been waiting for the season to begin. Thanks so much for the great photo’s, stories, etc.

25. Jeff Berndt says:

Can’t wait to see the video. I enjoy your website Ken! Wish I was there to see the first activity in the harbor for 2011!

26. Can’t wait for the video. Thanks so much, Ken. What a glorious sight!

Jill
    Alabama

27. All ingredients were here for a great season-starter; Barker, decent light, glorious horns/signals/bells and about 45 viewers on the Ustream! Too bad we didn’t have a processional – the Munson would have been a timely addition….