Beeghly arrives to friendly crowd

The Charles M. Beeghly arrived last night to load iron ore pellets at the CN dock in West Duluth. The boat gave a double salute to acknowledge the large crowd that gathered to welcome it to Duluth (above). It was built in 1959 in Toledo and is 806 feet long, and is nearly identical to the John Sherwin, a boat that spent many years in the Twin Ports sitting idle. This is the 8th trip here this season for the Beeghly, more than the total trips it made in each of the last 5 years. Photo taken on August 30, 2008
*submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for publication on 08-31-2008
Kenneth Newhams :