Joseph H. Thompson has much history

The tug-barge Joseph H. Thompson (seen above arriving in August, 2002) is due today with a load of limestone. This is the 12th trip here this season. It was one of the first boats of the season when it arrived on March 29th. The barge part is still most of the hull of a boat built in 1944 as the Marine Robin. It crossed the Atlantic several times during the war and was one of the many boats used in the Normandy invasion. In 1990, the vessel was turned into a barge when the stern and part of the hull were removed. A tug was built from the steel that was removed and was then inserted into a notch built into the back of the barge. Photo taken on July 02, 2008
*submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for publication on 08-18-2008
Kenneth Newhams :