|The Alpena is here for the 5th time this season, bringing cement on each occasion, as it was doing above in September, 2002. It was originally the Leon Fraser when it was built in 1942 for the Pittsburgh Steamship Company. It was modified for salt water duty for a time, sat idle during the 80’s and was shortened by 120 feet in the late 80’s and turned into a cement carrier. That happened at Fraser Shipyards in Superior. Inland Lakes bought the Leon Fraser in 1990, renamed it and put it in the cement trade in June, 1991. It is a very pretty boat and it often attracts a crowd.