Capt. Henry Jackman departs Duluth

capthenryjackman250802-2-012
The Capt. Henry Jackman will be here today for only the 9th time since 1996. It will load taconite pellets for Quebec City at the CN Dock in West Duluth. It was built in 1981 for a company owned by Cargill and Hanna Mining so the Jackman started life carrying both iron ore and grain. In fact, on the maiden voyage, it carried a record amount of wheat and on the return trip loaded a record amount of iron ore. The boat was sold in 1986 to the current owner, Algoma Central, and renamed the Capt. Henry Jackman after a man who operated several schooners on Lake Ontario between 1850 and 1870. Above, it departs Duluth in August, 2005.
*submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for publication on 07-24-2007

Leave a Comment

*