|In 1943, a boat called the Richard J. Reiss was built. It has been a very long time since that boat was in Duluth, but last year, it came in with a load of salt under its new name, Manistee (above). It made a second trip in August and will be back again today. While old, the original steam engine was replaced by a diesel engine in 1976 and it is now a self unloader. It started as a US flagged vessel, but after a variety of US owners through the years, it was sold to Lower Lakes / Grand River Navigation in January, 2004 and is now under Canadian ownership with a new name.