Algosoo number 2

algosoo230811-2-013
Algoma Central has had two boats called Algosoo, a name derived from the company’s name and their location at the ‘Soo Locks.’ The first Algosoo was built in 1901 as the Saturn and was 346 feet long. The boat was purchased by Algoma in 1913 and named the J. Frater Taylor. It became the Algosoo in 1936 and worked the lakes until 1965. Algosoo number two was built in 1974 and is 730 feet long. It will be here today loading coal.
*submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for publication on 07-27-2005

Leave a Comment

*