Archives for July 2005

Barker and Aerial Lift Bridge

The James R. Barker is making its 13th trip to the Twin Ports today. Most of those trips were to load coal at Midwest Energy Resources in Superior. Four trips were to today's destination, across the St. Louis River at the DM&IR Dock in West Duluth. As in the other trips to the DM&IR Dock, it will load taconite for a lower lakes port. *submitted to the Duluth News … [Read more...]

Bluebill here for wheat

The Bluebill arrived Thursday evening to load wheat for Venezuela. This is her second trip to Duluth. Last year she was here loading soy beans and durum wheat for Antwerp, Belguim, and Finland, after which she went to St. Petersburg, Russia to load more cargo. She has a crew of 18, mostly from Ukraine. The captain is from India. Photo taken July 28, 2005. *submitted to the … [Read more...]

American Mariner visits many ports

The American Mariner has visited these Great Lakes ports so far this year: Ashland, Ashtabula, Charlevoix, Cleveland, Conneaut, Drummond, Escanaba, Grand Haven, Green Bay, Harbor Beach, Indiana Harbor, Lackawanna, Lorain, Marquette, Meldrum Bay, Monroe, Munising, Muskegon, Ontonagon, Port Inland, Presque Isle, Sandusky, Silver Bay, South Chicago, Stoneport, Superior, Toledo, … [Read more...]

Blough departs Duluth ship canal

The Roger Blough spent the winter in Duluth but it does not come back very often during the season. It will be here today for only the 5th time this year. It will load taconite at the DM&IR Dock in West Duluth and then take that cargo to steel mills in Gary, Indiana. Above, the Blough departs Duluth on October 21, 2003. *submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for … [Read more...]

Algosoo number 2

Algoma Central has had two boats called Algosoo, a name derived from the company's name and their location at the 'Soo Locks.' The first Algosoo was built in 1901 as the Saturn and was 346 feet long. The boat was purchased by Algoma in 1913 and named the J. Frater Taylor. It became the Algosoo in 1936 and worked the lakes until 1965. Algosoo number two was built in 1974 and is … [Read more...]