Lee A. Tregurtha

leeatregurtha220907-117
The Lee A. Tregurtha should be here today for the first time this season. Built in 1942 as a tanker, it made many refueling runs across the Atlantic during World War ll. It is named for the wife of the vice chairman of Interlake Steamship Company. The Paul R. Tregurtha, the largest boat on the Great Lakes, was named for her husband. The boat’s whistle is a two tone steam whistle, thought to be original equipment. It is one of the loudest on the Great Lakes.
*submitted to the Duluth News Tribune for publication on 12-31-2004

Leave a Comment

*